Crime rates in St Katharine's and Wapping 2012-13

Having seen a few tweets about Wapping having the lowest crime rate in London, I was somewhat dubious, having looked at the data a few months ago when I wrote some earlier posts. This was further compounded when I looked at the Metropolitan Police's crime map, and I could readily identify wards with less crime (expressed as crimes per 1,000 residents). I even went as far as manually combining monthly extracts and even extracting the most recent raw data from the API using a script and some hard work, which still confirmed my suspicion. Per Randy Newman's lyrics to the theme for 'Monk', my catchphrase tends to be 'I could be wrong now, but I don't think so'.

So, when the final combined figures for 2012/13 for all wards in London were published this week, I downloaded them with some trepidation. It transpires that actually, (please remember I am a humble man!) against the odds and my expectations, I was infact correct ('nobody likes a smart arse' as @potoft often reminds me - alas she doesn't have her own theme tune).

There are 625 wards in London, and StKats and Wapping is ranked as the 402nd lowest crime area in London, or is that the 223rd highest? These stats don't include ASB, but I don't expect a massive dash up the table were ASB to be included (if I knew about football I presumably could make a football reference here. Note to self: get a life and adopt non-spreadsheet based manly pursuits).

However, I'm happy with mid-table mediocrity (I could be pundit after all!) - our crime rate is 88.8 per thousand residents, and the average for all of London is 95, so not too bad (though this average is affected by the West End, which is a different fish). For inner London wards, St Kats and Wapping's rate is in the bottom third, but then Shadwell's rate is only 73.4 and Surrey Docks is 70- perhaps its time to expand the boundaries of Wapping?

One good bit of news is that the figues show that crime fell slightly from last year, continuing the downward trend over 11 years.
 

Popular Posts