Wapping AKA Nappy Valley

Where did all the children go?


The 2011 census data has been coming out in drips and drabs and I thought I would continue my exploration of demographics of the East End with a look at population and age. What I found was a slightly odd lack of school age children.
The census data I'm using (from the GLA) is reported at a ward level and is broken down into bands of five years and if plotted we get the chart below. For reference the data here described as Wapping relates to the ward of St Katharine's and Wapping. What is interesting is that 6% of the Wapping population is age 0-4, but that this drops to 3-4% for the ages of 5-19 before increasing suddenly to 8% for those age 20-24. This is an interesting observation as it goes directly to the need for schools in the area.
Read more »
 

Popular Posts